Monday 11 January 2016

Unforgettable Reprimand and Appreciation: there is no need to speak or write a word to communicate

1.    I got these two from my Commanding Officer (CO; a veteran of three wars; 1962, 1965 and 1971) while I was a senior major, commanding an infantry company. I have tried my level best to forget the Severest of Reprimand that I ever received, but unable to do so.

2.    It was the incident of 1987 during an inter-company boxing match. The CO was the referee in the ring and I was one of the judges. Everything was manual. It was a fight of two boxers in the light fly weight. My company boy was contesting a good boxer from the other company. At the end of three rounds of fight, the difference between the two boxers was just of 19-20. My company boy was 19 and the other company was 20. But at that time I forgot my honour of being fair and gave my company boy 20 points as the winner. When the result sheets reached the CO, he examined the results and gave me a look---- which gave me shivers like an electric current; the look I would like to forget but unable to forget. Through his facial expression and the eyes he conveyed his severest of reprimand to me. Thereafter he never mentioned a word about it.

3.    On another occasion, the same CO, assigned me the task to train the battalion for the inter-battalion completion at the formation level. In this 100% present and medically fit persons were required to take part involving a run of 26 KM with complete battle gear culminating into shooting competition at the firing range. Two or three battalions took part daily and it continued for several days. Our turn was the last, on the final day. We stood first both in running and shooting. The second battalion was far behind. I expected that since this has been a spectacular achievement, he would come and shake my hand, pat my back or even hug me physically. But nothing like that happened. He looked at me. Gave me a grin and a very short movement of his head as appreciation. This was the best appreciation I have ever received.

4.    The CO, did not speak even a single syllable but conveyed everything that he wanted. If we examine these two communications from the leadership and management point of view, these amply prove the significance of face to face communication, communication by facial expression, instant communication, very effective communication and unforgettable communication. These two communications were not just the business communications, but were filled with emotions.


5.    Although these two incidents took place 28 years back, but even today in the modern digital world of emails, WhatsApp, SMS and many more, face to face communication is far ahead of all other forms of communicating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment